According to data from the 2016 Census the population of Boolaroo was 1,039.
The suburb was the epicenter of the Newcastle 1989 earthquake, (5.6 on the Richter scale) and once home to the former Pasminco Smelter which closed it’s doors in 2003.
Nearby Cockle Creek earnt it’s name from the large number of Cockle Shells found at the location by Colonel William Paterson.
It is the largest creek in Lake Macquarie.
Cockle Creek also once housed a power station between the years of 1927-1976.
Bunnings Glendale, is positioned between Lake Road, and Munibung Road, to the rear of the photo is the Costco Site, which opened it’s doors several years after Bunnings opened it’s doors here.
Prior to it’s opening, the former Glendale Bunnings site was located inside the Stockland Glendale complex, near Event Cinemas.
Pictured left is Cockle Creek, to the right hand side is Club Macquarie, a well known venue to locals and Novocastrians alike. It was established in 1967.
Some venue amenities include; a bowling green, and Auditorium.
Train Line & Station
Cockle Creek station is located opposite Bunnings Warehouse just off Lake Road.
NSW V Sets were introduced into service as early as 1970 and produced by Comeng (Commonwealth Engineering)
Costco Boolaroo Site
Line markings was completed by Kenex. The store opened to the public during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- National Film & Sound Archive: https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/newcastle-earthquake-1989 (Accessed 11 Feb 2023)
- Power Station, https://history.lakemac.com.au/page-local-history.aspx?pid=1085&vid=20&tmpt=narrative&narid=4107 (Accessed 11 Feb 2023)
- Club Macquarie: https://clubmacquarie.com.au/about-the-club/ (Accessed 11 Feb 2023)
- Train information: https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/ways-to-get-around/train/fleet-facilities/v-set-trains (Accessed 11 Feb 2023)
- Kenex Line Marking, Case Study (YouTube) https://youtu.be/m-vug4DPRLQ (Accessed 11 Feb 2023)
- Kenex Case Study, (Website): https://www.kenexstencils.com.au/projects/case-study/costco-lake-macquarie/ (Accessed: 11 Feb 2023)